Thursday, April 12, 2012

Wordle.net


Word Cloud made by Joohyun's blog postings (2012)



Word Cloud made by Joohyun's autobiography (2012)
 Created by Jonathan Feinberg, Wordle is a website for displaying words of certain text’s words distributions on the Java platform. Wordle provides service to generate “word clouds” from the text we insert. The cloud shows salient and prominent words that appear more frequently in the source of text you inserted. I’ve tried to make two word clouds. One is for my autobiography and the other is made by the blogs that I posted in my blog.
Many students use Wordle.net to create their research identity statements, and it makes sense when it is likely to show the most frequently used words in one’s research data. People’s interests will dominate someone’s mind subconsciously or consciously, and their writing will present the current interests or the flow of thoughts. We can also identify a politician’s priority or main drive of the election through creating “word clouds” with their speech scripts or their news or announcement.
     Jack Richards (1976) demonstrated about knowledge of word frequency as “knowing the degree of probability of encountering that word in speech or print.” Based on the assumption that the more people know about, the more frequently they use the words, if we look at the word cloud, the student or researcher’s personal interest and tendency of thoughts and opinions will be likely to be read.
     
Word Cloud made by Joohyun's Autobiography(2012)
      When creating the word cloud with my autobiography, I could know the most frequent word in my paper was English, teaching, and students. Even though someone looks at my word cloud, he or she will probably notice that my occupation or main interest in my life will be English or teaching a language as a teacher. The word cloud shows the aspect of focus of life pretty well.

No comments: